June 24

The teacher-centred classroom

A focus for next year is how I can make my classes less teacher-centred.  It’s something I’ve been thinking about this year, especially around the adult GESE group which I had as I found that they were perfectly capable of extended, interactive exchanges in pairs, but that they were less likely to interact as naturally when conversing with me (irrespective of it being in a one-on-one situation or in a whole-group setting).

I like this quote from an article in The Guardian with a tip for Demanding High:

The teacher gets students to listen and comment on each other’s answers, rather than designating any as correct or incorrect herself, at least until it is useful to do so.

It speaks to me on a number of levels: the idea of moving away from a teacher-centred classroom and passing more responsibility to learners for response and extension, the effect of over-affect or perhaps the advantage of distancing myself from the conversation and finally, the importance of focused, appropriate error correction.

Tags: ,

Posted June 24, 2015 by Teresa Bestwick in category My thoughts, Professional Development