April 3

Closer, closer…

I’ve just read this article about eliciting – it’s one of those teaching skills which I think I do well, but there’s always room for improvement and also it’s good to get a fresh perspective.

One of the points the article mentions early on is about standing close to students with quieter voices so that they don’t misinterpret you not hearing them as an incorrect answer.  This got me to thinking about instances where that has happened in my own classes – I can picture the faces of the students who are keen to volunteer an answer, but then look a little forlorn when I ask them to “say it again”.  Perhaps part of the problem is in my own response to not hearing them: I should say, “Can you repeat that, please?” rather than, “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you.  Can you say it again?”

This all ties in with classroom management – in this case, thinking about teacher (body) language, noise levels in the class and seating plans.  Do I sit the quieter students nearer me?  Do I make sure that each answer has everyone’s full, undivided attention?  Do I use the correct gestures and language when I don’t hear an answer?

I think the answer to all these question is “No”.

Hmmmm….something for me to think about…

Tags:

Posted April 3, 2014 by Teresa Bestwick in category My thoughts