April 2

Flying Penguins

Yes, it’s a belated April Fool’s Day post – but a great clip which can be used at any time as it gets students talking.  I showed the clip below to a group of seven-year-olds as an introduction to April Fool’s Day and was amazed at the language they produced after watching it.  When I asked what they had seen in the clip, they came out with some great sentences, using language we have recently been studying in class:

The penguins are flying!

The man is bigger than the penguins.

There’s a glacier, a beach, a jungle and trees.

I think I’ll be showing the younger classes more short clips as warmers – they are motivated to talk about what they’ve seen and there are such a lot of great clips out there for us to use in class.

Tags: , ,

Posted April 2, 2011 by Teresa Bestwick in category Resources

6 thoughts on “Flying Penguins

1. kylie

This is really cute!! I love the idea. Did you have an activity to go with the video while they were watching, or just watch and after have the follow-ups? I really like it! Thanks for sharing!

Reply
    1. Teresa Bestwick (Post author)

Thanks for stopping by, Kylie. I didn’t actually prepare anything to do whilst they watched the video – as I said, originaly it was suposed to be an introduction to the topic of April Fool’s Day. And I think that sometimes it’s nice for students to take what they like from a listening or video activity – as I say, I was amazed at how much they were able to produce and how motivated they were to use the language they have.

Reply