October 13

Wordy Wednesday #12

I was out with a Spanish friend the other day and she ws laughing about the fact that there were words which I particularly liked, or in this case, didn’t like in Spanish.  I have something against the word “conileño” (which refers to a person from the town of Conil), though I can’t quite put my finger on what it is…

So this week’s question is; what words do you especially like or dislike in the language of the country where you work, or in English for that matter?

Posted October 13, 2010 by Teresa Bestwick in category Wordy Wednesday

4 thoughts on “Wordy Wednesday #12

1. David Warr

Hi Teresa, it’s a lovely activity. I’m in the UK, but my wife is Kenyan and there are a few words in Swahili I like. Here’s one:
    wanyama = animals.
    Actually, in Swahili, with one class of nouns, the singular starts with “m” and is replaced by “wa” to make the plural. So:
    mnyama = animal.
    But I find this much more of a mouthful!
    David

Reply
  2. Jesús

Hi, I love all the tips and techniques you give in your blog. You are a great inspiration for English teachers around the globe! I’m from Mexico.

In Mexico there’s somehting called “albur” and it is close to speaking in double sense. So there are a lot of words which you have to be very careful to use. But there are other which I find quite funny like: tedioso, tuleño, soso, chengo, ñengo. The last two, I think, is slang used in the central part of the country.

Reply
    1. Teresa Bestwick (Post author)

Thanks for stopping by, Jesús, and for your kind words 🙂

We have the word “soso” here in Spain as well – it means boring, uninteresting, bland. Does it mean the same in Mexico?

Reply