May 17

It’s Shakespeare, dawg.

I discovered a new website thanks to a tweet the other day and although it’s not particularly useful for EFL classes, I just wanted to share it with you.  There’s a educational “movement” in the USA called Flocabulary and they are trying to motivate students to learn by teaching through hip-hop and rap.  It sounds like a great idea and I would love to see the results.

Here’s one of their videos which you can check out free on YouTube.

Tags:

Posted May 17, 2010 by Teresa Bestwick in category Uncategorized

4 thoughts on “It’s Shakespeare, dawg.

1. Karenne Sylvester

Hi Teresa,

I’ve been meaning to pop on over since you tweeted me about your blog (@kalinagoenglish on Tiwtter) – I love this article and tho’ wasn’t so impressed by the MacBeth video I was so happy to visit the link to Flocabulary – what an absolutely amazing resource! I agree with the founders completely, the key to learning lies in engaging the students.

Karenne

Reply
  2. Teresa Bestwick (Post author)

Hi Karenne,

Thanks for stopping by. Like I said in the post, I don’t know how useful Flocabulary is as a resource for EFL teachers, but it definitely gives us something to think about. YLs love working with rhymes and chants, but it’s often hard to engage teens in that way – it’s uncool for most to enjoy singing in their English class! Using their kind of music would certainly be a step in the right direction.

T 🙂

Reply