March 27

Vocab Game : Tennis

Well, it’s now Day Two and I feel I should give you a constructive post to read today, rather than scare you off with a rant about something which has annoyed me recently.So, here we have a great five-minute vocabulary game to play at the end of class, which involves no preparation. You’ll be happy as your students will be practising vocabulary and they’ll enjoy the competitive nature of the game.

Divide the class into two teams and give them a topic, e.g. food and drink. Ask them to think of one word related to the topic with each letter of the alphabet. Give them a few minutes to write down their answers.

Ask Team A to give you one of their words – you can either work through alphabetically, or let them choose letters at random.

Let’s imagine that Team A say chocolate. Team B’s word has to have more letters than chocolate to win the point. So as chocolate has 9 letters and cheese only has 6, Team A wins the point.
Then it is Team B’s turn. They say apple. Team A also has apple and so in this round, neither team wins a point. The winning word must always have more letters than the other word, so if both teams have a word with five letters, neither team gets the point.

If only one team has a word for a particular letter, they win a point. In the example above, Team A wins a point for doughnut as Team B doesn’t have a word.

This game works well with all age groups and levels and is very useful to practise specific vocabulary points (adjectives, verbs, animals, etc). You may like to advise students beforehand that longer words are better, and also encourage them to choose less obvious words to make it more likely that the other team won’t have the same.

I call the game Tennis as it makes it sound more interesting and makes students more willing to play. Another day I’ll tell you all about Las Vegas Grammar!

Tags: , , , ,

Posted March 27, 2009 by Teresa Bestwick in category Vocabulary Activities

2 thoughts on “Vocab Game : Tennis